A strange, all-consuming experience at Pontin’s, Prestatyn this weekend. The holiday camp was as much part of the environment as All Tomorrow’s Parties and one of the pleasures of the weekend (the music was another) was sorting out the juxtapositions and overlaps between the two. Obviously, there is a good deal to say about the whole event so I will skip that bit.
Saturday morning there was supposed to be something called ‘Mixtape Swap’. I have been making a series of mix CDs over the last few years that are based on the end-of-an-era discs I find at my local charity shops for 99p each. I thought I should bring along some of this output for trading. Either I missed this event or it didn’t actually happen and despite an announcement from the stage I found myself carrying 12 different mix CDs in their unique covers around with me (I like twelve. A dozen…one for each month of the year. Twelve subdivides into three four times.) While listening to Jonny Trunk talk about library music later that day I decided to give them away…gifts rather than swaps. So here is how I disposed of the 12 CDs:
- Given to Jonny Trunk after his talk.
- Left on a table next to Stage One on Saturday afternoon.
- Given to Tania Chen after her performance with David Toop.
- Given to David Toop after his performance with Tania Chen.
- Left under a monitor on Stage 3 after the Evan Parker, John Russell and John Edwards performance.
- Given to a male stranger outside the chalets on Sunday morning.
- Given to a female stranger in the same spot about an hour later.
- Left in the ‘win’ slot of the Tuppeny Falls game in the arcade.
- Left in a box set by Rhodri Davies on the merchandise stall.
- Given to a man called Ben who tapped me on the shoulder and said he remembered me from the announcement on Saturday….he told me something about why he had nothing to swap but I couldn’t really hear him.
- After leaving one on a malfunctioning ‘shoot ’em up’ game in the Arcade I noticed it was still there much later so I took it back and gave it to a laughing couple who were wedged into some too small rocking teacup thing.
- Concealed in Chalet 508.