12 sound events from 2012 that I really enjoyed. (In chronological order)
- Keiji Hano and Steve Noble. Café Oto, 28th February.*
- Freedom of the City, Cecil Sharp House, 5th/6th May.
- Scritti Politi. Bush Hall, 24th April.
- Einstein on the Beach, Philip Glass. Barbican, 11th May.*
- Fred Frith, Christian Marclay. Café Oto, 7th July.
- The Cherry Thing. Village Underground, 15th July.*
- John Tilbury, Oren Ambarchi. Café Oto, 3rd September.
- Star-shaped Biscuit, David Toop, Snape Maltings. 15th September.
- Peter Brotzmann Tentet + 1. Café Oto, 9th November.
- Extended Play, Janek Schaefer. Installation at CCA Glasgow. 14th November.
- The Ex and guests. Café Oto, 29th November.
- Touch 30, night one (Hildur Gudnadottir, David Toop, Philip Jeck, People Like Us, BJ Nilsen, Chris Watson, Fennesz). Beaconsfield Art Centre, 5th December.
*If I had to choose a favourite from this list it would be one of these.
And there were other highlights:
Gino Robair and John Butcher at the London Review Bookshop. Remembering Lol Coxhill at Cecil Sharp House, Thurston Moore and Matts Gustafson at Oto, Robert Wyatt in conversation at Oto, Anker, Taborn and Cleaver at Vortex, Mary Halvorson at Vortex, 2 nights of Miss Havisham Presents at Old Cholmeley Boys Club, Night of the Unexpected at Bishopsgate Institute, Little Feat at Islington Town Hall, Godspeed You! Black Emperor at the Forum, Crispell, Prévost, Smith at Oto, Supersilent at the Arches, Glasgow (and Swans the following evening), Mike Cooper and friends at Oto, the Martin Creed Band in the Purcell Room…
…the sound of the Atlantic waves coming in on the beach the day after a storm at Scarastavore, Isle of Harris, 23rd July.